After the success of our first coaching course in Dublin we are delighted to announce the launch of our next course in Limerick. This the second of our Level 1 Coaching Courses and will be held on the grounds of Limerick University. We will also be running a third course in Dublin at the end of November. See below for further details about the course, dates, venues and how to book a place.
Coaching is a critically important aspect of the triathlon experience, and one that has been identified and earmarked for improvement within the current Triathlon Ireland Strategic Plan. The importance of coach education and development cannot be overstated, and as such TI is aiming to accredit 120 new level one coaches in the 2010/2011 off season.
Plans are also already underway for the development of the Level Two course and delivery is anticipated for 2011.
Who are the tutors?
Triathlon Ireland is fortunate to have 5 accredited tutors who will be teaching the Level 1 Coaching Courses. They are Oliver Harkin, Lynne Algar, Sebastien Locteau, Eamonn Tilley and Jamie Bray.
How much does it cost?
As an incentive to promote and increase the number of Level One coaches in TI's affiliated clubs, the following price structure has been determined:
Level One Course Registrants nominated by a TI affiliated club: €175*
Level One Course Registrants NOT nominated by a TI affiliated club: €300
*When applying for the club rate you must be a current TI member and provide a statement from your Club Secretary indicating that you are attending on behalf of your club.
What do I get for my course fee?
- Two days lectures and practical instruction from qualified triathlon coaches;
- Course Manual and Materials
- Lunch, Tea Coffee and refreshments on both days;
- Pool and Facility Hire;
- Upon successful completion of the course requirements, you will receive TI Affiliated Coach Status, along with an accreditation card, which is valid for three years, and is a recognised accredited qualification with Coaching Ireland.
Where are the Courses being Held?
- 13/14 November – Limerick (Limerick University)
- 27/28 November – Dublin (Crowne Plaza, Blanchardstown
How do I book on a Course?
If you wish to attend one of the above courses, you will need to go online to pay the registration fee. Please note that places are limited to 12 people for Limerick and 20 people for Dublin, so you will need to register online as soon as possible to secure your place.
To secure your place, simply:
Click here for Limerick (13/14) - Booking for this course will close at 5pm on Thursday 11th November.
Click here for Dublin (27/28 Nov) - Booking for this course will close at 5pm on Thursday 25th November.
Don't forget if you register as a TI member/Club member (€175), your Club Secretary will need to send an email to Triathlon Ireland at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you are attending on behalf of your club.
How is the course structured?
In addition to the two weekend days (structure below) there are a couple of other requirements necessary to attain the Level One accreditation. These include:
- Successful attainment of a recognised first aid accreditation**
- Successful Garda Working with Children Clearance and attendance at a Child Protection Awareness Seminar
- Attendance, and participation in one practical coaching session, at regional coaching day (held in your region) - this not only complements the theoretical components of the course, but will provide you with the opportunity to work with TI's emerging talented athletes and world-class senior coaches.
**Please contact TI if you are in doubt regarding any first aid qualifications - examples of suitable courses include: Order of Malta, Red Cross, St John Ambulance and any first aid course endorsed by a governing body or Local Sports Partnership.
Provisional Structure of Course Delivery
Please note that depending on number of participants the nature of delivery may be modified, though will follow a similar structure to the below.
Day 1 - Saturday
09.30 Welcome / Registration
10.30 The Triathlon Coach
11.00 How people learn
12:00 Code of Ethics and Working With Children
12.30 Lunch (provided by TI)
13.00 Safety: General safety in Triathlon
14.00 Planning: Planning from a template session
15.15 Equipment (safety): In the coaching environment
16.15 Physiology for Triathlon
17.15 Review of Accomplishment of Day 1
17:30 End of Day
Day 2 - Sunday
09.30 Techniques & Safety: Swimming Techniques
10:30 Swim Practical
12:30 Lunch (provided by TI)
13.00 Techniques: Cycling Techniques
14:30 Bike Theory
15:30 Techniques: Run Techniques
16:30 Planning: Session content
17:30 End of Day